Thursday 31 December 2009

BOOK OF THE YEAR

Much of the time I find it very hard to settle down sufficiently to read a book for leisure. It was good to relax for a few days after Christmas, and to read several excellent books. Among them was my undoubted book of the year. This is how Scot McKnight describes it:

Late summer I read Hala Jaber's gripping memoir of life in Iraq called: The Flying Carpet of Small Miracles: A Woman's Fight to Save Two Orphans . If you can read this without tearing up, well, you can't. Hala weaves together her own story, her fight with her own infertility, the devastation in Iraq, her critique of what war does to countries and people and children ... and how her coverage of Iraq led her to one family and one child ... and the memoir is my "Memoir of the Year."
This is a truly outstanding book, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was eventually made into a film. If you have book tokens to spend, this would be my recommendation.

No comments: