Thursday 18 December 2008

THE GOSPEL UNDER OCCUPATION

I've been to Israel three times. On two of these occasions I led groups from Hilton Church.(1997 & 1999) I'm grateful for the opportunities I have had to visit, and it has undoubtedly heightened my appreciation of the Scriptures. It's great to be able to picture the geography as you read stories of Jesus visiting Jericho or calling the disciples to follow him on the shores of Lake Galilee.
I've just seen this trip advertised by the Amos Trust. I think it would be fascinating to get a little bit of the beaten track and meet local believers facing the challenges of occupation.. The number of Christians living in the Holy Land is diminishing fast.One of the highlights of our trips was a meeting with Elias Chacour, a Priest who was thrown off his land along with his family when the State of Israel was established in 1948.

No comments: