Sunday 7 December 2008

3 minutes, 3 times a day...

I am still enjoying the blessings and benefits of our weekend with Roy Searle. In drawing us back to simplicity of relationship with Christ I was deeply challenged. I have all my Christian life been indoctrinated on the importance of the scriptures and of course they are core to the life of a believer but not when they overtake relationship with Jesus. The bible is not the word, Jesus is the word. And for any relationship to work you need to listen to the other person. Roy suggested we take three spells of three minutes each day to clear all the noise and clutter of life out of the way and to just listen for God. Have you tried it? Remarkably difficult! Easy to listen to some soothing Christian CD. Easy to talk to God. But to clear your mind of everything to just listen. Difficult or what! If all the spiritual disciplines are that hard then I am indeed daunted. But I suppose they are not called spiritual disciplines for nothing.
Day 1:- 10 seconds and my thoughts are going to the rest of the day.
Day 2:- 10 seconds and 'That picture is squint'
Day 3:- the ticking of the clock seems so loud and is annoying me
Day 4:- 20 seconds and the feeling comes to give up
Day 5:- nothing
Day 6:- I can't get a disagreement I had with someone out of my head. What I said and what they said and what I should have said!
Day 7:- lasted three minutes and at least felt peaceful
Day 8:- really excited-both a sense of peace and something about the kingdom of God within me!
3 weeks later and I look forward to these times, wish I had persevered with them years ago and feel that they are helping to build relationship with my heavenly Father far better than any bible study on it's own. In fact these times are bringing alive my bible readings. It's relationship with the word! So be encouraged and stick with it!
Encouraged leader!
Barry

No comments: