Friday 12 December 2008

A BOOK WORTH READING

Every once in a while I come across a book which I feel I can confidently recommend. The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne is one such book. As I read Isaiah 61 which Jesus quoted from in the synagogue in Nazareth, I wondered what this might mean for the Church today. I believe Shane's journey, which takes him to both Calcutta (with Mother Theresa) and Baghdad, gives us some important clues. I plan to quote from the book on Sunday morning. He has a great gift for identifying very telling quotes. Here's one from Martin Luther King,

"We are called to play the Good Samaritan on life's roadside...but one day we must come to see that the whole Jericho road must be transformed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed. True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. It comes to see that a system that produces beggars needs to be repaved. We are called to be the Good Samaritan, but after you lift so many people out of the ditch you start to ask, maybe the whole road to Jericho needs to be repaved."

No comments: