Tuesday 16 December 2008

BAPTISM

In August we had some baptisms in Loch Ness by full immersion. A repeat performance in January wouldn't be a good idea given the temperature, so tonight I have been trying to research possible ways of having a baptism by full immersion in the church. I'm concious that there are some pretty significant health and safety issues linked to having large quantities of water in the sanctuary. Read this article for example. I remembered John Sentamu's baptism's every Easter in York, so I followed links which led me to a youth service called G2. They have had a baptism indoors using a portable pool with heated water. Perhaps we can set it up in a corner of the Large Hall or maybe we could set it up (outdoors) at the front of the church and fill it with warm water. Is there anybody reading this with any ideas about where I might be able to get a pool similar to the one in the photo? It's fun trying to think through these kind of challenges.While I was doing my research I listened to this fascinating talk by John Drane - Can anyone teach me to pray? I'm praying for a pool!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen a larger kids paddling pool from Argos used. Only cost £20 or £30 and filled with warm water.

Anonymous said...

Might be worth researching birthing pools, some are a similar size to the one pictured :)