Friday 7 January 2011

biblefresh

I have spent the last few days meditating on Isaiah 42 prior to preaching from it this Sunday morning. The focus is on the servant of the Lord, a prophecy which will ultimately be fulfilled in Jesus. I think the major thing which God has been impressing upon me is the vital need to encourage the congregation to engage with God through Scripture. All the efforts to prepare sermons for Sunday won't really amount to very much, if there isn't a parallel track of the whole congregation systematically engaging with God through Scripture. Jonathan has inspired quite a number of people to read the bible in a year since 1st September, but how can we increase the number of those regularly reading the bible. In trying to think through a response to this question, I have this morning discovered Biblefresh, which is a new website, devoted to this very goal. I don't think we should rush into a quick strategy, but I think this website provides an excellent framework for encouraging engagement with Scripture at many different levels. Take a look and let me know what you think.

No comments: