Saturday 23 January 2010

PRAYER

We spent today together as a leadership. I'll perhaps write a bit more about the focus of our retreat later, but we spent a considerable period of time thinking about prayer. I've just read this post by Albert, which I think adds to what we discussed:
Talking about prayer is another effective way to engage work colleagues and friends without appearing to be intrusive. The strange thing is that most people will respond to the idea of prayer. Even if they’re not sure they believe. They will be touched by the thought that someone was thoughtful enough to suggest prayer.
Many years ago I remember doing a prayer experiment round the parish. I took my young probationer minister at the time and we went door knocking. We simply knocked doors and asked people if they had any requests for prayer. The funny thing was that no one questioned me or asked why I was doing it. It was as though i was the milkman inquiring how many pints were required. Admittedly I we were wearing clerical collars, but in some strange way people realised that was the business of the church. Perhaps they saw us as God’s postmen picking up the mail for heaven. The astounding thing was that we went to twenty or thirty doors and no one refused to give a topic for prayer. I well remember one big man came to the door with his simit on and his shaving razor in hand and the foam all over his face. When I told him what we were doing he moved away as though to shut the door, then he turned and said ” Could you pray for Mary across the street she’s struggling at the moment with cancer.” I’m learning that there is often more faith in the street than in the church.

No comments: