Monday 17 November 2008

LETTER FROM LESOTHO

Well, here we are having been in Lesotho now for two weeks. All is well – my friend Ruth who came with me to help me settle in (and make sure that I stayed!) has just left on the plane for Johannesburg and I find a moment to write a bit on what has been going on.

Thanks to some good friends here, I arrived to find all the essentials in place and have spent the last week or so adding one or two luxuries like

I am meeting tomorrow with Pastor David (the leader of the church we go to here) to go over our plan of action and review timescales and such like so after that I will have a better idea of where I will start with the Care Centre.

I am spending time building simple relationships with the boys on the streets – taking them fruit and bread whenever I can and chatting to them in broken Sesotho – I really must learn more of the language!
I am also finding out about other people who may have some involvement in helping these boys so that we are not doubling up in the service we are providing. I plan to visit the Prince’s Trust offices this week, as well as the Girl Guides Centre to see what is going on there.

Palesa started school a week ago, and so far it has been fairly eventful. She came wandering home on Thursday at around 10.30am to see her mum – unfortunately I was not in! I am not even convinced that the teacher noticed she was gone until my friend took her back!

I am pushing to get going and get things started, but keep being reminded that This Is Africa, and to take things more slowly. I really need to get back into that way again I think! I certainly am not there yet!

Anyway, tried to put this onto a blog of our own but it did not work so will keep trying with that and in the meantime, post this on Hilton Church’s Blog!
Robyn

No comments: