Saturday 26 January 2008

Street Pastors on the streets

Last night saw three teams of Street Pastors pounding the streets of our city centre. I left the house at nine o'clock, my heart pounding with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Having met up with the prayer team, we set off in teams of four from the Old High Church hall, our pockets bulging with space blankets, flip-flops, personal alarm, a little money and mobiles.
It was an incredible night--everybody was so friendly towards us. There was no problem starting conversations with the many young folk and it was so encouraging that conversations naturally (or should I say supernaturally turned to faith, the meaning of life, Jesus and God)
We helped a fair number of people from giving blankets to the half-clothed girls to helping an unconcious young man get to hospital. We didn,t get home till quarter past four. Yes, I was whacked, but what a privelege to bring the love of Jesus to the streets. I can't wait till next Friday to do it again and go to the Market Bar to hear Fay sing at 11 o,clock. She shared her kebab with me in pouring rain in the middle of Church Street at one in the morning. God bless her!
Many other stories.
I know many of you are praying for the Inverness Street Pastors and for Ingrid and myself and I certainly was very much aware of that because God was definitely there last night. I felt entirely safe, confident and everybody we met were so appreciative of our presence on the streets. So thank you for your prayers. Ingrid goes out tonight and it will be interesting to hear her stories. Keep praying that the peace of God will rule on the streets of our city and that a generation of young people will come to experience his love and grace.
It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready ,even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night. Luke 12v. 38
Doda

No comments: