Tuesday 11 December 2007

Reflections on Impact

Sunday evening proved that Impact Cafe is now well established and is favoured by young and old within the church as a wonderful way of following Jesus's example - food, serving one another, fellowship, praise, worship and the proclamation of God's kingdom.
The sanctuary was ablaze with colour and candlelight. The Christmas menu offered a great choice of drinks and seasonal titbits. We have to admire our young waiters and waitresses, who were under a great deal of pressure in serving so many people. They did it all with a smile and made no mistakes with the orders. Well done and thank you - the service was better than Rocpool Reserve.
The opening praise and music was certainly anointed and one could feel the presence of God's Spirit.
Shortly after Rob started speaking, I heard a commotion in the foyer. I went to investigate and found up to 10 teenagers going through our lost property. Of course they scampered, but I went out and invited them in. Duncan quickly organised a table for them,sat with them and our young folks served them with drinks and food. From then on, I have to confess, I was not paying a lot of attention to what was going on at the front .
My thoughts were more along the lines of THIS IS CHURCH. These kids are looking for security, love and identity. They may be disruptive, disrespectful or even drunk, but that is our mission and I would love to see our church full of people like them. On talking to one of the boys, he told me he would like to know more about Jesus and what the Bible says.
I am really excited about all the community events organised by different folk in Hilton church at this time of year. Let's pray that the Holy Spirit will sweep over the Hilton area and that God will use us to bring those who are NOT YET His into the Light
The idea of Impact Cafe came from Rob Barlow. It has gone from strength to strength. I believe that as a church we should use this format more to interact with the unsaved and needy in our community.
Father God I wonder how I managed to exist wihout the knowledge of your parenthood and your loving care.
Doda

No comments: