Thursday 22 March 2007

HABLO ESPANOL?

After a significant gap period, I am back into learning Spanish. I am spending a few weeks at the moment going back over the course Espana Viva which I did in 2005. I mentioned my desire to speak Spanish fluently in a recent sermon and was overwhelmed with the offers of encouragement, support and advice. When I finish Espana Viva again, I intend to follow some of the advice I was given.

The desire to speak Spanish all began in 2004, when I visited Peru, and in particular went there to see the work of The Vine Trust. This led to a team of 33 from Hilton Church going to Peru in October 2005 to do some construction work at 2 Street Boy Homes. This was an amazing experience for all who took part. Since then, the interest of the Church in the work of the Vine Trust has deepened. A number of the Doctors in our Church are now committed to the medical work which the Trust are doing on the Amazon River and another workparty is heading out to Peru for some more construction work in October. I was back in Peru with the Vine Trust in January and was amazed to see how much progress had been made in the 15 months since my last visit. But my Spanish was still elementary to say the least!!

The pictures linked to this post are of Kusi, a village being built for Street Boys high up in the Andes. The money raised by our workparty in 2005 was used to build the school. A small church like Hilton reallly can make a difference in the world for good. There are now 20 former street boys living in the village and that number will slowly rise to 40.

I am sure there will be quite a number of posts about the Vine Trust over the coming months. If you are interested in a life changing experience, up Andean Mountains and down Amazon Rivers this October, helping the Street Boys of Peru, it is not too late to book. Just contact the Vine Trust for more details. The bigger the team, the more we can do to help the plight of these boys. Adios!
DMacP

No comments: