Wednesday 21 March 2007

THE FLAME BURNS BRIGHT!

For the last year, I have been part of a committee of Inverness Presbytery which seeks to encourage Mission. Last night I turned up for the regular meeting at North Kessock in good time. By 7.35pm, my only companion was Rob Barlow who had come as an observor! The flame of mission is clearly burning bright at Inverness Presbytery! There was, however, a positive consequence of a zero attendance. Rob and I headed for Borders Bookshop and in particular Starbucks, where we were able to join the small group from Hilton Church meeting there to discuss The Life you always wanted. They have been meeting every Tuesday night during Lent for a relaxed chat about the chapters of the book they have been reading that week. Small Groups linked to the congregation meet at a variety of locations across the city every week. One hour later, after a warming coffee and a very stimulating discussion about whether we can ever really know if it is God who is guiding us, and I was feeling considerably more positive about life.

I have been struck by the number of people who I see at Starbucks Tuesday after Tuesday. The Coffee and the cakes are exceptionally expensive, but the atmosphere of the Cafe clearly attracts people back again and again. Atmosphere, I guess, is very important. At Hilton Church, we have made serious efforts to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere. A volunteer team has recently re-painted the interior of the church, and we have arranged the seating for worship services in a horseshoe shape. This Sunday night at 6.30pm we are running an Impact Cafe. It's not Starbucks, but it is a serious attempt to create a more dynamic and contemporary feel to our Church. Come along and see for yourself. We would value your involvement and feedback.
MacP

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Love the idea of your meetings in Starbucks - fellowship and coffee, sounds good to me!

I too have joined the blogworld - but I'm not the best at keeping it up to date. Hope you are all well.

Gayle