Monday 14 May 2007

Christian Life and Work

How do you make the connection between your Christian faith and your work?

William Diehl, the sales manager of a major steel company writes challengingly about the gap between the secular and the sacred in church circles:

"In almost 30 years of my professional career, my church has never once sugggested that there be any type of accounting of my on the job ministry to others. My church has never once offered to improve those skills which could make me a better minister, nor has it ever asked if I needed any kind of support in what I was doing. There has never been an inquiry into the types of ethical decisions I must face, or whether I seek to communicate the faith to co-workers. I have never been in a congregation where there was any type of public affirmation of a ministry in my career. In short, I must conclude that my church really doesn't have the least interest whther r how I minister in my daily work."

These are hard hitting words and should give every congregation, especially its leaders, plenty to think about. To be fair, these issues are increasingly being addressed by churches today, and if the quote strikes a chord with you, you might want to be at CCC tomorrow night for LIVE WORK! LIVE LIFE!

No comments: