Tuesday 24 April 2007

WITH LOVE FROM LESOTHO

Robyn Hammond, a member of Hilton Church and a teacher, moved to Lesotho last summer to work in a local school. It has been both wonderful and humbling to read of her experiences during her time there. In all the hardship of African life, there is an awareness of God that we know too little of in our own comfortable culture. Robyn has recently formally adopted a little girl called Palesa, and what follows is a short extract from a recent e-mail:

"Life is good with me, and Palesa has enriched my life to an amazing extent. God has truly blessed me! I am lucky to have strong Christian support from the friends I have here - a man who is a grandfather of nine and a father of four, and a family who work with me. They keep me right and are a great source of advice! When I think of how long I have waited to come to Africa, I see now how God's timing is perfect. Any earlier and I might not have been ready to adopt and it certainly would not have been Palesa. I also would not have met the people that I have met, who have been greatly influencial to me.
Life here is very slow - nothing is achieved quickly and so hours are taken up doing something that would take 30 minutes at home. I thank God daily for the blessings that are only mine through place of birth - so many here are sick and poor. There is such need here, and it is difficult to focus on any one thing.
I try to go to the orphanage once a week now - Palesa does not really like going back and so I usually leave her with someone, but I feel God is still calling me to be involved and find something practical to do to help. I have had offers of money from home, and am praying that we will use the money wisely for the benefit of the children that are still there. My evenings are usually spent playing games (my sister came to visit and brought Rummikub) with my neighbours - it is not safe to go out after dark and there is no-where to go anyway! Besides, I know have babysitting duties that are new to me!
Palesa is doing fine - she has suffered from malnutrition and has an inflamed liver and a HUGE tummy because of her poor diet, but the doctor tells me that her liver function is fine and her tummy will go away eventually with good diet and as she grows. Her muscle definition is poor due to a lack of protein, so the lucky girl is getting plenty of cheese, yoghurt and red meat, all of which she loves!
Better go - the bell has gone.
Love to all and thanks for your mail
Robyn "

D MacP

No comments: