Friday 27 April 2007

News from Denver

A few weeks ago, we said goodbye to Keri Fishlock, who was going to spend some time studying at a YWAM base in Denver, Colorado. Here are some excerpts from an email which has just come in.

So I've been here for almost 4 weeks now and I'm starting to settle into life at the YWAM base. The leadership course I'm doing has 13 people in it, mostly Americans but a couple of brits and a Korean and a pole. It's about half guys and half girls.

The base is about 30 mins from the centre of Denver. It's quite nice, we've got a volley ball court and a lake. The weather is pretty mixed up, we have had some really hot days and some snowy days too. I'm sharing a dorm with seven other guys, it is cosy but quite good fun. I played early morning football this morning, we have to leave at 6.45 in the morning.

Most days we have lectures in the morning and then work duties in the afternoon. I am working in the kitchen which I enjoy, today I fried a lot of chicken. I feel a bit like a monk being here, we have a prayer time every morning and worship three times a week. It is nice to take some time out of normal life. We have a different lecturer each week with subjects so far including public speaking, biblical counselling and peace under pressure. The lectures have been good and have been challenging.

One of the highlights so far was an evening we spent hanging out with homeless people in a park downtown. We gave them some hot drinks and food, I spent ages chatting to these twins called Brian and Ryan. They were good guys so hopefully I will see them again. We also went to a care home for the mentally ill. There was one guy in particular who was really funny, he had accidently shot himself in the head whilst cleaning his gun and he was a real character. This weekend I think we are sleeping in cardboard boxes as part of an event to raise awareness for child soldiers in Uganda. I got to go snowboarding at Vail last weekend which was pretty cool.

I am hoping that some kind of opportunity will open up in Denver once the course is over. Possibilities would be finding a job out here or staying on to do work with YWAM.

God bless and love from,

Keri

No comments: