Saturday 28 April 2007

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOUR’S CHURCH

The following blog from Gadget Vicar (alias Rev Dave McCarthy of St Silas's Church, Glasgow) is a reminder that the matter of reflecting on the uses of ones church buildings and improving them is a continual process, or at least it should be! As well as being in the midst of major plans to re-develop the former manse next door to Hilton Church, the Congregational Board has also instructed a local architect to look at our main buildings with a view to making plans for future improvements. It will be interesting to see what ideas the architect comes up with. Andrew Wilson is co-ordinating this project for the Board, and in due course (probably after the summer) plans will be available to the congregation for comment.

"I was at a meeting this morning in a neighbouring church (Partick Trinity). Afterwards, the minister, Stuart Smith, kindlyoffered to show me their shiny new, pewless sanctuary. It's an impressive space with huge potential, and I have to say I felt a little covetous.
Which is ironic really, as St Silas' sanctuary as served as a model for many other churches in terms of re-ordering. It happened before my time (in 1991). On reflection, I'm sure a few things could have been done differently and a little bit better.
The carpet wore down and got stained through the usage pattern of the building. Ceilidhs and children (ages 0-80+!) spilling food/coffee have taken their toll. It was replaced about eighteen months ago. We now factor in the likelihood of having to replace the carpet every ten years or so.
A dais (or stage) was put in. I'm not sure it's the right height, size or shape.
Our chairs, while attractive enough, are wooden, heavy and don't stack terribly high. They also break easily, especially as they are constantly being lifted and stacked. Though more comfortable than pews, I don't think they are as comfortable as our friends' at Partick Trinity. My sense is that for compulsive chair shifters like me, their chairs there would be an easier proposition.
Maybe we ought to begin thinking about replacing our chairs too, given the way we are using the building? Maybe reordering is something to consider more regularly than once every one hundred years or so? I'm sure that suggestion will make me popular."

No comments: