Friday 27 November 2009

Fr. Daniel Sysoev

I have been watching A HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY with Dairmaid MacCulloch on BBC iPLAYER. I have learnt a significant number of new things about the history of Christianity as a result. I hadn't been aware that the gospel bore fruit in China in the 7th century, nor had I been aware that the celibacy of the RC priesthood was rooted in the desire of the various Popes to stop family dynasties growing up which would threaten their power.Last week, the programme focussed on the Orthodox church. In that very week, Fr Daniel Sysoev was martyred for seeking to share the gospel within a muslim context. The Orthodox tradition is very different from my own experience and background, but I was truly humbled by this interview which I read this morning.

No comments: