Wednesday 6 August 2008

THE JESUS WAY



Over the past week, I have been reading THE JESUS WAY by Eugene Peterson. This is a wonderful book which gives fresh insights into the Bible on a daily basis. If you haven't read any of his books before, I heartily recommend his writing, especially CHRIST PLAYS IN TEN THOUSAND PLACES.


Today, in my reading,Peterson has been focussing on the prophetic work of Elijah, and he writes,


"He will not see the results of his prophetic work. None of us in this kingdom work ever do. We "plant sequoias."


For me this observation is an important reminder. The summer will soon be over, and ahead lie many challenges. Some of them already appear quite intimidating.I need to remind myself that much of my/our work is about planting seeds which will bear fruit long after I/we are gone.


Duncan

No comments: