Saturday 18 August 2007

Makes you think

A brilliant post below this morning by EMERGENT KIWI. While you're at it, you might want to read LIVING WITTILY'S reflections on THE HIGH COST OF BOTTLED WATER. We live in a complex world which confronts us with many difficult moral and ethical questions.
DM


The parable of the missing talents
I have been preaching on the topic of Jesus and money. One of the business people in the church asked me what I thought was an excellent question: what would Jesus have said if one of the people in the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-28) had lost money. It got me thinking about how domesticated the Parable has become, and prompted me to have a go at contemporarising the parable in light of contemporary ethical issues.
Any suggestions to the "What would Jesus say? gratefully accepted, as Sunday's coming!

"Again, it will be like a businesswoman going on a journey, who called her servants and entrusted her property to them. To one she gave 3.5 million dollars, to another 1.5 million, and to another 700,000, each according to their ability. Then she went on her journey. The one who had received the 3.5 million went at once and put his money to work and gained 3.5 million more. So also, the one with the 1.5 million gained 1.5 million more. But the man who had received the one talent went off, and placed it in Kiwisaver.

"After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received the 3.5 million brought the other 3.5 million. 'Master,' she said, 'you entrusted me with 3.5 million. See, I have gained 3.5 million more. I set up a sweat shop in Thailand and used bonded labour to supply cheap chairs for growing churches.
What would Jesus say to that?

"The one with the 1.5 million also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with 1.5 million. I invested them in the share markets and foreign exchange currency. But I lost my money when the Kiwi dollar crashed.'
What would Jesus say to that?

"Then the man who had received the 700,000 came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard woman, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. So I was careful and cautious and planned for my retirement and I invested in Kiwisaver. When I retire, I am sure that you will get what belongs to you.'
What would Jesus say to that?

No comments: